1/29/13

Considerable Command



DEAR UNIVERSE,

Hi, how's it going. I just found out that apparently space-time is smooth (as opposed to "foamy"), or, in any case, smoother than everyone except Einstein thought, which seems cool. I was talking about it with my room-mate over the weekend and he said that he had never thought of space-time as foamy. Neither had I. So it's cool that it's consistent. Thanks, I guess. Out here it's cold, right now. It's still definitely winter in New York City. I mean, you know.

Anyway, I did have some questions. Whenever you have a chance it would be great to know your thoughts. So:

1) Is it too late, and or am I too dumb to go to graduate school? Am i too much of a free-spirit or burnout to go back into Academia? Would I get in? I have some friends who are into being academics and seem to get a lot out of it. But they're intellectual and social superstars, and I'm not. What do you think? Switching gears:

2) Should I move to Los Angeles? And be an actor? Come to think of it, that's what both of my parents did. But they did it when they were younger than me (and also my age, I guess). I'm getting older. I'm 28 and a half, and I'm not really gorgeous.

Not that I have to leave New York. I love it here! I'm just curious. I haven't been to Los Angeles since I was 9 years old when my family left. I don't know how to drive. I want to go really badly, though. I wish I could get it together. I know, I know, I ought to stay in New York for a while.

I don't need you to remind me, U, that New York is on its way out. I know, and you know I know, that it won't be around forever. And so of course I want to enjoy it for as long as I can.

Sometimes when I'm by myself walking around the city, depending on the light or the weather or the way the air smells or the breeze, I'll feel suddenly overwhelmed with my love for the city. That happened a lot on Sunday afternoon. Walking around the Atlantic Mall in Brooklyn, which I normally hate, just feeling so much love for Brooklyn, New York, my fellow citizens. Everyone just... being so busy and happy and preoccupied. It felt great. I couldn't give that up, not really.

But if you tell me that I really ought to move to Los Angeles, to become an actor, then that's a considerable command. Maybe if you just give me a sign, okay?

I'm usually around a computer during the day, all the time. Plus I can get e-mail on my phone. So I'll just wait for your answer. Write back soon.

Your truly,
Billy

No comments: