12/4/08

Overheard

The woman behind me at City Bakery is in a hurry, and is feeling private about the food she's just bought. She hands the cardboard box to the cashier.

"Hot food."
"Okay."
"And I need to put it on a card, all right?"
"Okay, fine." He puts the food on the scale. "Eggs?"
"Excuse me?"
"Did you get eggs?"
"Yes."
He pauses while he's typing on the weight. "Any bacon in there?"
The woman is caught off-guard. "Yeah..."
The cashier raises his eyebrow. "How many pieces?"
"I don't know."
"Like... one piece? Two pieces?" He starts to pick at the tape on the cardboard. "Three?"

When I got to work, one of the lawyers told me about a meeting he had. Someone was excited to make a movie, and brought in an investor they were particularly proud of. The client and the investor wanted to get started with the production counsel paperwork right away. The lawyer told them that unfortunately they had to sign a retainer letter for the before he could being working for them. Sort of like a deposit. The client turned to the investor, who waved his hand.

"Oh, I'm good for it. Just get started. Listen. All the cookies in the Northeast? I sell."

I thought that was pretty exciting.

No comments: