4/9/09

On Kanye West

I have always liked Kanye West. When his first record came out, his tenacious self-mythology was so cute, to me. There's a line in "Through the Wire", the song about having his jaw wired shut, which goes: "I drink a boost for breakfast, and Ensure for dessert. Somebody ordered pancakes I just sip the sizzurp." So sweet. Then he got super famous. And rightly so.

A big part of what I'm into about Kanye West is that I think he is totally fucking adorable.
And he's really smart. And his music and his art (fuck you I'm calling Kanye West an artist not a rapper) is that it is happening in a super duper meta really big #1 single in the world kind of mainstream way, and he is also super self-concsious. His narcisissm is so interesting to me because it is totally true. Here's a really sweet video in which Kanye West, drunk, tells the camera that he is Number One:



Here's the thing: HE TOTALLY IS NUMBER ONE. You could not deny that. I think that's just great. Southpark apparently lampooned him last night, and while I haven't seen the episode yet, I think Kanye's response to it is super on-point and inspiring and great and it makes me love him even more:

I ACTUALLY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY EGO THOUGH. HAVING THE CRAZY EGO IS PLAYED OUT AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE AND CAREER
. I USE TO USE IT TO BUILD UP MY ESTEEM WHEN NOBODY BELIEVED IN ME. NOW THAT PEOPLE DO BELIEVE AND SUPPORT MY MUSIC AND PRODUCTS THE BEST RESPONSE IS THANK YOU INSTEAD OF "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" IT'S COOL TO TALK SHIT WHEN YOU'RE RAPPING BUT NOT IN REAL LIFE. WHEN YOU MEET LITTLE WAYNE IN PERSON HE'S THE NICEST GUY FOR EXAMPLE. I JUST WANNA BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM. I NEED TO JUST GET PAST MYSELF. DROP THE BRAVADO AND JUST MAKE DOPE PRODUCT. EVERYTHING IS NOT THAT SERIOUS. AS LONG AS PEOPLE THINK I ACT LIKE A BITCH THIS TYPE OF SHIT WILL HAPPEN TO ME. I GOT A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF ME TO MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE I'M NOT ACTUALLY A HUGE DOUCHE BUT I'M UP FOR THE CHALLENGE.



I hope some day we can meet and I will tell him I like his outfit and I think it's really cool that he speaks openly about fighting homophobia (as in, being man enough to admit that he struggles with his own) and I think he is super cool. Kanye West = Number One. It's true.

1 comment:

Sam McKinniss said...

WHO IS GOING TO PAINT HIM NUDE? I WANT AN ANSWER.