10/8/09

We're dancing free but we're stuck here underground

Junya Watanabe S/S 2010.

Some mentions have been made about Watanabe embracing the pantsuit, for the stylish woman who wants something to wear to the office. And no doubt these would do fine for that. Personally, I don't think that's what's going on here. I think of Watanabe's clothes in a similar way that I think of mayonnaise. Though I personally do not enjoy eating mayonnaise (though enjoy wearing Watanabe clothing, duh) I can appreciate it's sort of ubiquitous status. It looks, basically, simple. What we're talking about is an emulsion of basic elements: B&W palette, traditional mens tayloring, the implication of structure, the nod towards a clean line, a framework within which to play. But there's this kind of magic 'flavor' thing that happens to people who like mayonnaise, there's an ineffable taste that comes along with this basic suspension of protein and fat. It just works. These clothes are functional, intentional, studied, but they're meant to presume a kind of pleasure, play. Their simplicity is what is supposed to be enjoyable about them.





Of course, when I see this collection, especially the shoes, and especially the prosthetic hairpieces, I do not think of pantsuits for the office. I do not think of function and I do not think of a well-helled office executive desperate for something to wear to a lunch meeting. Rather, this collection makes me think that Junya Watanabe has been paying close attention (as everyone should) to the always impeccably-dressed, and I'll say it again possibly the most important performer working in American pop music today, Janelle Monae:





Who has been rocking this exact style for at least a few years and I think ought to get a lot of money from Japan, or at least a lot of free clothes.

No comments: