8/26/10

THE FACES OF TAJA SEVELLE

THE FACES OF TAJA SEVELLE

THE YEAR: 1997. I was 13. Exactly half my life ago. When I was in middle school. I saw a music video on VH1 for this song. (I watched kind of a lot of VH1 in those days but I was also secretly obsessed with a possible Heavens to Betsy reunion against all odds as well). And one afternoon on VH1, back when they showed music videos on TV, I saw this video, and I fell in love.

I & I



The song was darkly funny, the video was bizarre and dreamy, and Taja's Singing was haunting and really cool and I just loved it. And another part of that was the Face.



Taja, like Sharon Stone and certain other people I know, has a fucking AMAZING FACE. Like, FACE POINT FIVE. Gets extra credit, better than perfect, its got a Grade Point Average of 4.5 a FACE AND A HALF.

But that was in 1997. I was into that song and I loved it and didn't really pursue it much further than that until a few years later, when I looked back into Ms. Sevelle and found out about her rather extensive and impressive and pretty necessary back catalog. Of Faces.

SO this was Taja's fist big hit, "Love is Contagious". It's excellent. Taja Sevelle has a crazy amazing voice. That is a fucking FACT.



Additionally, as you can see, she's been making really incredible faces for a little while now.
BACKSTORY: "Taja was getting ready to begin her first year at the Berklee College of Music when she began her music career in 1987 when she was signed to the Paisley Park Records label by Prince In the same week she was accepted into the Berklee College of Music in Boston, she was offered a deal from Prince."

I quote from her Wikipedia page b/c y'know who else went to Berklee College? JULIANA FUCKING HATFIELD.

RAD. I mean, speaking of FACES. FACES POINT FIVES, I mean. She was a babe from the get-go:



Here are some more of her vintage faces, along with their attendant music videos.





POPULAR






WOULDN'T YOU LOVE TO LOVE ME?






More current Face, on the Montel Williams show discussing her 501(c)(3), Urban Farming.



SHE'S STILL GOT IT.


1 comment:

Taja said...

Thank you, whoever you are! Taja