11/17/10

Of The Arms I Missed


Favorites, favors, treats, presents, gifts, hors d'œuvres. Decorations. The weird giraffe-y art of the old Häagen-Dazs containers really take me back, man. I have such a strong sense-memory of this weird broken pattern. Specifically, eating coffee ice cream with my mom in Los Angeles, somewhat secretively. I don't know why it was a secret. A secret treat. Now I'm realizing that I just posted the other day about coffee yogurt, another obsession. And my maternal grandmother, Bubbe, always had coffee candy in her house. Which she never ate, but I ate compulsively whenever I visited her (even into high school and college). I don't remember what kind of coffee candies they were, which brand, but I'd know it if I saw it. Maybe there's some kind of matriarchal coffee flavor obsession in me. Could be worse, I guess.

Went to a really cool lecture at the New Museum on Sunday, as part of their "FREE" exhibition. The event was organized by the brilliant DIS Magazine and featured David Riley (of the band Mirror Mirror) giving a lecture about the history and significance of the Scrunchie.


It was so great! I learned a lot. I was pretty hungover on Sunday and David's articulate, calm, lucid voice was just perfect. Everybody in the audience got a free DIS denim scrunchie. Score! David's band Mirror Mirror is of course fantastic. They played once when I was go-go dancing at QxBxRx and it was so trippy. They also made a music video starring Rumi of the Cockettes, and they screened it at Rumi's recent NYC event at Envoy Enterprises. It was so great! I almost forgot to write on here (maybe I have before?) that I found out recently that David was a founding member of the NYC band NAVY in the late 90s/early 00s.

Like many people I'm sure, I first heard Navy on the Mr. Lady 2001 compilation Calling All Kings & Queens. I had never heard of them before, and I remember a considerable amount of internet chatter about them. WHO WERE these mysterious Navy people? At the time, I wasn't really interested or paying attention to anything about NYC. I had no plans to move there (yet). For all I knew, the only really interesting band to come out of NYC at the time was Le Tigre and they hardly counted as NYC. But something about the song really spoke to me! Their cutesy nautical theme was sort of prescient, at least for me: I spent the next many years obsessed with that aesthetic (the cover of my first cassette, as the Icebergs, featured hand-drawn anchors). And the song! And David's voice! I was definitely interested in queer punk music and such, but it was still kind of novel to hear the rainbow of gender expressions I imagined for myself and observed in my peer group (queer peer group) represented in indie music / underground culture. "Safe Harbors", the Navy song on the album, is very gay sounding. David clearly has a queer voice, and he was singing about desire. And from what I gathered, they had a really cool girl drummer. But I couldn't find anything out about them, really. I just made a note in my head that this kind of thing happened in Brooklyn. That there were sexy queer bands, existing underground, putting out amazing records. In NYC. It was one of the straws on the camel's back of me eventually coming here. And how lucky we are that fellow founding member Brina Thurston has put the entire Navy discography online. Anyway I recently put 2 + 2 together, realized who he was, and drunkenly told Mr. Riley how much Navy meant to me as a suburban teenager in California. He was very gracious about it.

Last night we went to a really cool art opening where there was new work by my good buddy Julia Norton.


Dream L.A., 2010

Her pictures are so pretty I hope I get one for x-mas / chanukah. Reminder: Julia has an illustration in the most recent issue of my zine, Scorcher. Natch.

On the way home I bought some party supplies. Total impulse buys but also, as the BF offered, "quality purchases". I think these will make the train ride up to Connecticut this weekend more enjoyable.



So sad that they killed Rush, and also Four Loko, right? Maybe not too sad. A little sad.
And now some videos. The first is a remix of Teengirl Fantasy's "Dancing In Slow Motion" (featuring Sharon Fuchness) by NEW NEEDS for DIS Magazine.


The second is a movie that resident boy-genius Perfect Little Daniel made for school, referencing Jarman's Caravaggio and starring, of course, the legendary Miss Jennifer Gross:


Ok. I am going to see the new Burroughs documentary tonight. And I am so fucking excited.

No comments: