7/6/11

CONSCIOUSNESS-RAISING

Hello New York. I want to invite you to come to this event tomorrow night:

THURSDAY, JULY 7TH
7-9:00PM $10 (Sliding Scale)
FLUX FACTORY
39-31 29th St
Long Island City, NY 11101
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO AND TICKETS

FLUX FACTORY'S SUMMER SCHOOL PRESENTS: CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING

Hosted by Colin Self and Max Steele.

In this seminar-based forum we'll explore the language surrounding contemporary issues in sex, gender, race, class, and other cultural concepts.

The idea for this class came out of a conversation I was having on Twitter with Colin. We were talking about queer identity and who is "allowed" to say the word "girl" and what that all entails. And then the conversation quickly became about having this type of conversation; examining our identities and language and processes. And then the conversation turned into the question "How can we get more people in on this conversation? Can we all talk about these things?" And then the lovely Gabriel from Flux Factory asked me if I would like to participate in the Summer School series, and immediately I knew Colin and I had to do it.

Colin is one of the most exciting artists I can think of in NYC, and is also a friend of mine. A constant inspiration. I am so excited to be doing this workshop with him. We're really interested in exploring the traditional/historical model of a Consciousness-Raising session as located between group therapy and political organizing. I can't wait to see all of you and talk this all out.

Hopefully see y'all tomorrow night!

No comments: