1/26/12

Sense of Speaking for the Possibility

Well, I am definitely in a much better mood today. I don’t know why. Probably the old hump-day blues. Sometimes I feel really turned-off and bored by the world. I think probably we all do. And anyway I feel a lot better today.

One thing I’m really excited about is that my buddy Becca Blackwell did a really rad interview in The Village Voice for his work in Young Jean Lee’s UNTITLED FEMINIST SHOW. Again, if you live in NYC and haven’t seen the show, PLEASE GO. Even if I didn’t already have a total friend-boner for Becca (which, hi, I totally do), I would be really inspired by his comments in the article. My favorite is:
“How would I even begin to create the paradox of masculinity in a naked body with a vulva? Can dance even be masculine? How badly do I need my movement to seem ‘masculine?’ Why do I care so much about how people will see me? In the end, we came up with a sense of speaking for the possibility, not the problems of what we are. I got to be bigger than the questions. As awesome as that is, it is still a daily struggle.”
This quote illustrates exactly what I found so exciting about the show, and also points to the inherent magick in art, in general. These questions are really interesting, with no clear answers, of course. And I think, as people with identities (all of us) it can be totally unnerving and even tortuous to be in a position to constantly be asking these questions. I am so happy to be able to see the fruits of these questions onstage! The place where the show comes from “a sense of speaking for the possibility, not the problems of what we are” is, like, music to my ears. It makes me feel really happy and present and excited to be in the world. So, thanks, Becca!

Recently I was talking trash with a friend of mine about this person we both know, who was waxing poetic online about something both my friend I thought was really lame. Some mass cultural icon/aesthetic thing we’ve all been force-fed and are sick of. We were being snobs, I admit. But I was telling my friend that I wish this person could find cooler, more accessible and engaging things to obsess over. It’s not necessarily a victory for capitalist culture, and it’s not necessary a weakness or laziness on the part of the consumer. I said that I felt sort of responsible. This is the job of artists— to work to widen (to the extent possible) the scope of things worth imagining, obsessing over, thinking about. That is the job of art, I think.

But then maybe you make something fantastic and nobody sees it but you. That would be sad, but even then, in that case, still absolutely worth doing.

Hello there.

No comments: