2/1/12

FAREWELL QXBXRX

This Saturday, 2/4/12 is the last Queers, Beers and Rears. I am very sad to see it go, but I want to take a second to celebrate this wonderful party.


I started go-go dancing at QxBxRx about five years ago, and it totally changed my life. QxBxRx is the type of party that I dreamt about as a teenager. A place where being queer and being punk weren't mutually exclusive. A place where you didn't have to be rich or well-connected or cool or popular or beautiful to be included. A place where you wouldn't get picked on for being different, for not fitting in.

QxBxRx is also a place where I got to see some incredible bands and meet many of my heroes. It was backstage at QxBxRx that I met Allison from Bratmobile and, while the other go-go boys and I were putting on makeup and giving ourselves punk sharpie tattoos, I asked her to write "PxRxDxCxTx" on my stomach (PunkRockDreamCumTrue DUH). She rolled her eyes and said "Um, really?" It was kind of the most important moment in my life and I still haven't lived it down.

I've met some really amazing people at QxBxRx, especially the three darling boys who throw the party; Stephen, Erik and Andrew. It's really hard to throw a monthly party, and it's especially hard to wrangle a bunch of bands every month. This has been a labor of love, and like all good things it must come to an end. But it is sad.

Five years is a long time. To the extent to which anybody knows who I am in any way, they most often know me as a go-go boy. I do a lot of things which seem really interesting (to me, at least) but the thing I have most consistently done over the last five years has been go-go dance at this party. It's been a fantastic time and has absolutely made me a happier and better person. I have fallen in and out of love while dancing at this party, I've been there during good times and bad times, it's been a constant source of awesomeness and good-feeling in my life.

Here is some more info on the party, below.

QxBxRx (Queers Beers & Rears) | 5-Year Anniversary | FINAL PARTY!
February 4, 2012
Glasslands Gallery | 289 Kent Ave at South 1st | Williamsburg
Doors @ 8:30PM - going til 4am! | 21+ | $10 adv | $12 door
Advance tickets available HERE

Live performances by:
MAKING FRIENDZ (feat. Tami Hart)
PEOPLE AT PARTIES (ex-Von Iva)
TWO TEARS (ex-Red Aunts)
THE RUFFIAN ARMS (Reunion show!)
BABY YOUR BABY (Go-Karff's new band w/members of Falsies on Heat, Space Cookie & the Rosebuds)

DJ Sets by:
DJ LUIZA SÁ (of CSS)
DJ LGBT (of MEN)

Resident DJs/Hosts:
A.MARTINI
GO-KARFF
SIR LOINS

Plus QBR Go-go Dancers Max, Johnny & Travis!!!

Lovely Johnny Darling, deer heart as well as fellow QxBxRx go-go boy wrote a really nice article about the party.

If you're in NYC this weekend, please do come dance with me one last time at QxBxRx.

No comments: