4/13/12

I'm thinking a lot this morning about Jean Smith and Jay DeFeo. Jean Smith from Mecca Normal, I feel like, is maybe the most best brilliant kind of genius, because she has stayed punk and not sold out. This might not have been a choice. It might not have been an option, but part of me thinks it is. Mecca Normal (Jean Smith and David Lester) are fucking anarchists, you know? There was absolutely a time in the early 1990s when they were sort of talked about a lot in what was then the alternative rock press as like "ones to watch" and they have had an extraordinary career, but always without seeming to have to pander to the middle of the road. They're stayed weird, and expressive. I'm thinking a whole lot about this trajectory lately. I sometimes think I shouldn't be allowed to moralize, because it's hurtful and insensitive. But then I realize that I can do whatever I want, and really the fun part is just interrogating what I think of as morals. The point is to have a reason to do it, I guess, not worry about whether or not it's allowed. 

And I think a lot about Jay DeFeo because of The Rose. During college, the first time I ever went to the Whitney, it was to go see The Rose. I didn't know anything about art, really, or the Whitney or anything. I knew a little bit about DeFeo, specifically that she was from California, like me. And that she had spent a very long time making this painting. It was like church, maybe. 

...And I'm also thinking a lot about Ana├»s Nin lately. I can't bring myself to re-read her books though. Maybe I'm just thinking a lot about eye make-up. 

I'm going to go buy a wig on my lunch break. A really pretty one I've been eyeing for a long time. It's blonde and black. 

This weekend was really so much fun. But it's over, in the past and now we're moving onto this weekend. Time will fly. 

No comments: